Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering....

Today we remember the tragedy of 9/11/01. In some ways it doesn't seem like it was 7 years ago. In other ways, it seems like a life-time ago. What I remember about that day is this: people flocked to the church to pray! They were distraught, they didn't know what to do. They knew they wanted to pray and people just came together in an unorganized prayer meeting to lift up our nation, the grieving, the hurt, the lost, the rescue workers and fire fighters, and even to pray for our enemies. In the days that followed 9/11 there were many more spontaneous prayer meetings that just sprang up. Church attendance was also higher. I think people wanted to know what to do to get right with God. How I pray that people will seek Him every day of their lives. Let's remember that God sacrificed his one and only Son so that we could have eternal life. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

3 comments:

Hiker Mama said...

I remember that too! I will never forget, I was on the phone with Lifeway and the woman on the other end told me what was going on. It gives me chills to think about it. We feel so safe in our little worlds, we forget that Satan isjust waiting for us to let our guard down.
Tell me one more time why God has allowed Satan to exist....

Wanda said...

I'm reading beyond the Bible Study blog and enjoying the posts...

9/11 the painters were here painting our homes. I had taken David to the airport that morning and he had left his cell phone in my car so I was trying to have him paged to tell him I'd bring the cell to him if there was any way he could get it. The telephone operator told me they were "very busy" -- then I turned on the TV and saw what was happening... I couldn't move from the TV, couldn't take in what was happening. An hour later the phone rang and it was David - he had to stand in line to use a phone - had been sitting on the plane ready to taxi out when they were put on hold - would I come and get him... I did and we talked about what was going on... still unable to comprehend the enormity of it. I dropped him off at home and came back. The painters were getting ready for lunch so I invited them in to watch TV. I remember their reverence - this group of men who I didn't know sitting in my living room. One of them commented "May God be with us because we are surely in war now." Then we watched everything unfolding in silence.

I remember congress walking out and standing together as one singing "God Bless America" - I had chillbumps and tears.

JayCee said...

Thanks for sharing, ladies. That brings back other memories, as well.

God gives us all free choice/will. There's a really interesting book out called: "The Shack." The author explains his idea of how God could allow suffering and evil in this world. Also, he explains his views on free choice and how that works in conjunction with God's ultimate will. It's a fiction book, along the lines of allegory, like "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It has some interesting takes on God. I would LOVE it if someone else would also read it and give me their opinion. From what I gather on Youtube, people either love it or hate it.