Thursday, August 13, 2009

"The Prodigal God"

I'm reading this book by Timothy Keller. It's very eye-opening....and sometimes convicting! In his book, Keller describes God's love as being radical. There are so many great quotes in this book. I will highlight a few of them for you.

"One of the signs that you may not grasp the unique, radical nature of the gospel is that you are certain that you do."

"God's reckless grace is our greatest hope, a life-changing experience, and the subject of this book."

And those two quotes are just in the introduction!! Here's some more:

Keller says that a lot of us fall into either the "younger brother" syndrome or the "older brother" syndrome. He describes the two sons in Luke 15 as both being prodigals. He shows us how we sometimes fall into playing the role of either one or the other of these two kinds of persons.

"Jesus's purpose is not to warm our hearts but to shatter our categories."

"Because sin is not just breaking the rules, it is putting yourself in the place of God....there are two ways to be your own Savior....one is by breaking the rules, the other is by keeping all the moral laws and being very, very good."

The next part really got to me. He was talking about the older brother who wouldn't seem to forgive his younger brother. The older brother acted like he never did anything wrong (he acted kind of self-righteous). Then Tim Keller said this:

"It is impossible to forgive someone if you feel superior to him or her."

I'm only about two thirds of the way through this book, but you might want to check it out for yourself. It's definitely enlightening.

"Lord, please help me to love others with the radical kind of love you have shown me!"

4 comments:

janel. said...

great post!! Can I just tell you that I feel so blessed to have a friend like you!! What a special little surprise waiting on my porch when I got home from my very first day of teaching :) You are so sweet and amazing and I truly thank God for bringing you, your family, and your church into my life everyday. Jesus has got to be so proud to have you down here shining with His light on a daily basis. I love you so much :)
Thanks again Janet!
Love,
janel

Leslie Lauren said...

Janet, I'm telling you, you are one amazing lady!!!!

How unbelievably awesome is it that you post about reading one of Timothy Keller's books on the very same day that Melissa encourages the siestas to pick up his "Reason for God"?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! And don't think it slid past me either that you did the "Me, Myself and Lies" study....BEFORE the summertime when the LPM gals recommended it!!

Seriously. I'm sitting here shaking in my seat with excitement. You know how God sometimes puts people in our lives so that He can speak through them to us? Janet, I am convinced you will be one of those people. Don't ask how I know, I just know.

I love how God works!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Leslie Lauren said...

LOL~ I'm sorry, got overly excited and just realized you posted this YESTERDAY!! Even cooler!!! :) :) :)

Hiker Mama said...

Wow, sounds like a great book Janet...I want to read it next!